We’re moving forward now on our imaging set up. Today I tested the functionality of the battery to operate the mount. Remember we will not have any standard plugs nearby. We’re going to use a Celestron AVX, Tak FS102, Canon 60D. First off we will have to align to North with a compass because it will be during the day. Then we will have to do a 1 point alignment on the Sun. Here is where our special solar finder comes in! When you first slew to the Sun it’s not going to be there! You have to FIND it! Then you align on it using the handpad. We tested the process without the scope this time and it looks like it’s pretty accurate. The projected dot of the Sun stayed pretty much in the center of the finder for a good 30 minutes.
Next up: testing the camera including the Eclipse Orchestrator automation software, survivorship of my laptop on battery power, live tracking ability etc.
Thanks for reading!